Sunday, November 21, 2010

You Can Have Me, by Sidewalk Prophets

As Christians, we're supposed to give up everything for the sake of Christ. It sounds like a really awesome idea and we get excited to do it. However, when it boils down to it, would you? Would you give up your brand new guitar, your horse, your computer, your money, or even yourself just for God? He created us, saved us, and extends His grace to us every day.

So when we think about, we should be willing to. However, there's always something that holds us back. There's always a portion of us that doesn't want to give up our comfortable lives. We have a roof over our heads, we're not in trouble with the law, we're not a well-known person who has something profound to say and causes controversy. We often want to fade into the background and not be noticed because we're afraid of what others may say or do.

In Matthew, Jesus called fishermen to be His followers. They immediately gave up everything that they had in order to follow Him. They didn't know that it would cause them pain or that they wouldn't understand everything that God was telling them. Even still, when they were in pain, they continued to spread God's word. They weren't silent. They had a voice and were heard all over the nations.

But look at us today. We don't have as loud of a voice. We're tucked away and not causing the stir that the prophets or discples ever did. We're comfortable. However, we're also constantly going through the motions. Our love for Christ is almost unmoving. The power of it doesn't engulf us like it should. We sort of put a lid on it and let the flames die so we don't have to deal with it all.

But we're children of God. We have everything. We have gained everything through Him. We're not on the losing end of this war, we're on the winning side. Our goal is to try and get as many people on the winning side as we can so they too can be in the winner's circle. We want everyone there. We want to see them all rejoicing with us in Heaven.

So if that's what we're supposed to be, then why don't we let God have all of us?

You Can Have Me: Sidewalk Prophets (Album: These Simple Truths)

If I saw You on the street
And You said come and follow me
But I had to give up everything
All I once held dear and all of my dreams

Would I love You enough to let go
Or would my love run dry
When You asked for my life

When did love become unmoving?
When did love become unconsuming?
Forgetting what the world has told me
Father of love, You can have me
You can have me

If You’re all You claim to be
Then I’m not losing anything
So I will crawl upon my knees
Just to know the joy of suffering

I will love You enough to let go
Lord, I give you my life
I give you my life

When did love become unmoving?
When did love become unconsuming?
Forgetting what the world has told me
Father of love, You can have me
You can have me

I want to be where You are
I’m running into Your arms
And I will never look back
So Jesus, here is my heart

When did love become unmoving?
When did love become unconsuming?
Forgetting what the world has told me
Father of love, You can have me
You can have me

When did love become unmoving?
When did love become unconsuming?
Forgetting what the world has told me
Father of love, You can have me
My Father, my love
You can have me

No comments:

Post a Comment